Students are not required to travel to Cedar Valley to attend classes or complete lab practical exams. Students in DEVTP are asked to submit final products, such as videotapes, to demonstrate clinical competencies for practical exams in level 3. In level 4 they have the option of submitting videos to demonstrate clinical competencies, or they can travel to Cedar Valley College to demonstrate them in person during our Fast Track labs. The students have hands on throughout levels 2-4, but the videos are only in levels 3-4 where they have to video tape themselves doing the required tasks. Regardless, once you complete the degree requirements, you will be invited to travel to Dallas to participate in the Cedar Valley May graduation ceremony.
General Education Requirements
Additional general education requirements required for the associate's degree include:
- English (ENGL 1301)
- Math (TECM 1303 or college algebra or higher)
- Speech and communication (SPCH 1311, 1315, 1318 or 1321 – Foreign languages are not accepted)
- Biology (BIOL 1406)
- Fine arts or humanities (can be selected from art, music or film appreciation, humanities or philosophy)
- Social or behavioral sciences (can be selected from psychology, sociology, history, government, economics or anthropology)
- General Hospital and Clinic Information (Levels 1, 2 and 3)
- Examination Procedures and Clinical Techniques (Levels 1, 2 and 3)
- Pharmacy and Pharmacology (Levels 1, 2 and 3)
- Surgical Preparation and Assistance (Levels 1, 2 and 3)
- Animal Nursing (Levels 1, 2 and 3)
- Laboratory Procedures (Levels 1, 2 and 3)
- Radiology and Ultrasound (Levels 1, 2 and 3)
- Advanced Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology (Level 4)
- Food Animal Clinical Management (Level 4)
- Equine Clinical Management (Level 4)
- Lab Animal Clinical Management (Level 4)
- Large Animal Assisting Techniques (Level 4)
- Cooperative Work Experience (practicum)
In order to graduate, students must meet the following criteria:
- Complete all 27 technician courses with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Complete all six general education courses with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Students pursuing this award program are required to meet Texas Success Initiative (TSI) standards and course prerequisites.
- Students must earn at least 25% of the credit hours required for graduation through instruction by the college awarding the degree.