Getting Started Checklist
- Apply to College
(While the application states that the SS# is optional, we do require it on all applications. Transcripts and tax forms are all tied to this number and if you fail to provide one, the system will make up a number and your transcripts cannot be applied to your account and tax forms will have the wrong number on them which causes tax preparers to turn down the form.)
- Submit the following forms to the vet tech office by attaching to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or standard USPS mail (Attn: Crystin McDonnell, Vet Tech, 3030 N. Dallas Ave., Lancaster, TX 75134). BEFORE June 1st.
**Applications will NOT be reviewed/entered without all the following forms completed, transcripts submitted and you have a student ID number on file**
- Setup your eConnect Account Click on the link, https://econnect.dcccd.edu/help/LogIn/LogIn.jsp and follow the instructions on how to set this up. You will use this to see you unofficial transcripts, schedules, student profiles.
- Setup your eCampus Account: click the link, http://ecampus.support.dcccd.edu/v91/studenttutorials/studentIndexv91.html, and follow the instructions on how to set this up. It is recommended that you learn how to use this system because, majority of your professors will use this tool to display lecture notes, quizzes, online tests, homework assignments, and grades.
- It is recommended that students take the ACT, THEA, or SAT prior to or immediately following applying to the college. The test is offered on specific dates so check each website for details regarding the test dates and registering.
Cedar Valley School Codes
ACT School Code: 4087
SAT College Board code: 6148
The ACT or SAT is preferred but if you are unable to complete the ACT, THEA or SAT, you may take the Accuplacer offered through the school. There are two options for taking the test:
- Contact an individual in the Veterinary Technology Department to schedule a time, allow at least 3 hours, to take the test at 972-860-8127 or 972-860-8267. We will schedule a time for you to come in prior to classes starting.
- Take the test at a public or private elementary, junior or high school, public library or through another college using our system. Complete the Proctor Nominate Form and Remote Site Request Form and fax it to 972-698-3051. Once the information is verified test details are sent to the proctor. Set up an appointment with the proctor to take the test.
- You may also take the test at another college using their system and have the results faxed to 972-698-3051. Other acceptable tests include the MAP and COMPASS tests. You must take reading placement, writing placement (including essay), and math placement. The THEA test is only for Texas students.
- Once all is completed and submitted to Mrs. McDonnell, you will need to send a follow up email to her, email@example.com, to confirm that all your paperwork is correct and entered. If you do not follow up, there is no guarantee that your paperwork has been received or entered and you may miss your opportunity to be accepted in to the Veterinary Technology Program for that Fall Semester.
- The following is a list of supplies that you will need during the Veterinary Technology Program:
- Ceil Blue Scrubs
- Closed toed shoes
- White lab coat
- Watch with seconds
- Clear protective goggles for labs
- Basic Calculator
- Non-latex gloves – if allergic to latex/prefer your own
- Stethoscope – definitely by 4th semester
- Black pen/pencils
- To start off prepared, it is recommended that you have the first week all supplies listed (minus stethoscope)
At this point you have done what you can to be considered for acceptance into the Veterinary Technology Program. All applications will be reviewed and then by the second week of June, letters will be emailed to all applicants. (MAKE SURE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS CURRENT).