Pre-enrollment Requirements and Costs
Thank you for your interest in attending the CVC Law Enforcement Academy.
TCLEOSE and the Texas Occupations Code set the minimum requirements and qualifications for persons to be licensed as a peace officer in the state of Texas. These requirements are found in TCLEOSE Rule 217.1. Basically, the qualifications are:
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have a valid Texas drivers license and a good driving record
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED
- Applicants who were in the U.S. military must have an Honorable Discharge, or a discharge under honorable conditions, or a good DD-214
- Cannot have been convicted of a Class B misdemeanor within the last 10-years. (Deferred adjudication is considered a conviction if community supervision or fine was attached as a condition of deferment).
- Cannot ever have been convicted of a family violence offense
Please visit the TCLEOSE web site for a more comprehensive statement, and make sure that you are qualified to be a Texas peace officer prior to completion of any pre-enrollment processes.
The pre-registration requirements to attend the academy are a combination of the minimum requirements mentioned above to become a peace officer in the state of Texas, and the following Academy requirements.
- Pass the Accuplacer reading comprehension with a score of 78, and a score of 6 for sentence structure, and a score of 80 for the essay. The exam is free and may be taken at Cedar Valley College. If you have already taken and passed the Accuplacer, or a comparable exam, you will not be required to re-take it. Military Veterans with 3-years of prior service or honorably discharged are exempt from the Accuplacer exam. Contact the academy at (972) 860-8289 in order to set an appointment to take the exam. It is free of charge. Students may only take the exam once a semester. Note- even though a student may show to be "reading ready" in colleague, they must still take and pass the Accuplacer exam. Information and sample tests can be found at: http://www.dcccd.edu/Emp/Departments/EA/Student%20Affairs/Assessment%20Practice%20Tests/ACCUPLACER/Pages/default.aspx/
- Must show proof of a meningitis shot within the last 5-years. (students over the years of 30-years of age are exempt).
The academy will need copies the following documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Driver's License(s)
- High School diploma
- Texas Automobile Liability Insurance
- DD214 (military)
- Complete the Cadet Screening Application and return to the Academy with all other paperwork.
- Call 1-888-467-2080 (FAST) and schedule an appointment for fingerprinting and a criminal history check. They will give you directions to their location. This will cost you $9.95. Complete the FAST form provided here and take it with you.
- Pass a physical and drug screen. You may use the physician of your choice, however, if you do not have a physician, some names, addresses, and telephone numbers are provided in this link. The academy is not endorsing them, they are provided as a benefit for prospective cadets. Take the L-2 form provided in this link with you to the appointment for the doctor to complete. (Cost is approx. $100.00).
- Pass a psychological (MMPI). You may use the psychiatrist or psychologist of your choice, however, if you do not have one, some names, addresses, and telephone numbers are provided in this link. The academy is not endorsing them, they are provided as a benefit for prospective cadets. Take the L-3 form provided in this link with you to the appointment for the doctor to complete. (Cost is approx. $100.00).
- You must have an acceptable driving record. Go on-line at Texas DPS and request a 3-year driving record (option #3). It will cost $7.00. Provide a copy to the Academy. The on-line link is: https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/tolapp/txldrcdr/TXDPSLicenseeManager.
- Read the Statement of Understanding provided in this packet. It outlines all of the requirements set forth by TCLEOSE in order to be certified as a peace officer in the state of Texas. The information is also provided in the TCLEOSE Rules found in the TCLEOSE website at www.tcleose.state.tx.us. If you have any questions, please contact the Academy. Once you understand all of the qualification standards sign the form in front of a notary public and have it "notarized."
- "The Texas State Legislature, 82nd Session, passed legislation requiring students on college campuses to show proof of a meningitis vaccination. All students must provide proof of a meningitis vaccination within the last 5-years. (Students over 30-years of age are exempt)." Proof can be shown by a valid shot record or District Meningitis verification form.
- All paperwork must be submitted prior to enrollment. It is highly recommended that students have all paperwork submitted and be enrolled no later than two-weeks prior to the first day of class. Students submitting paperwork after that date will be allowed to enroll subject to availability.
- If you are planning on attending the Academy, please complete this Student Information form and either fax to the Academy at (972) 860-2941, or email to email@example.com, or bring to the Academy offices. Please make sure and complete the information on which class you plan on attending, and provide a good contact number where you can be reached.
After you have completed the process, return all paperwork and copies of documents to the Academy. You are ready to register!!
****All paperwork must be submitted prior to enrollment. It is highly recommended that students have all paperwork submitted and be enrolled no later than two-weeks prior to the first day of class. Students submitting paperwork after that date will be allowed to enroll subject to availability.