About the Sustainable Communities Institute
Do you have an interest in being a better steward of our planet? Do you wonder how we can produce and distribute healthier food for all? Are you concerned with being healthy and having a long and productive life? Are you interested in construction and want to catch the wave of the future? Think energy & water efficient healthy buildings. It is good for the wallet, improves your quality of life and has a lower impact on the environment. This is becoming the new quality standard in the building industry, both in the U.S. and abroad.
History of SCI:
With the encouragement from partners such as the U.S. Department of Energy Building America, Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET) and supporters like the U.S. Green Building Council, Rice University/ Shell Center for Sustainability', Santa Fe Community College, University of Texas in Arlington, University of North Texas and Cedar Valley College have created the Sustainable Communities Institute.
Vision: Sustainable practices in action.
Mission of the SCI: The mission of the Sustainability Institute is to provide exemplary service to increase sustainability awareness and practice at Cedar Valley College and nearby communities.
- Promote and provide information on sustainability to the college, its employees and students, and the public
- Design and facilitate programs and events that will improve sustainability at CVC and the BSW Cities
- Research current and future methods and techniques for improving sustainability
- Reduce green house emissions of the college.
- Reduce waste and increase percentage of recycled materials through outreach and education, and provide information about products made from recycled materials.
- Improve energy and water efficiency through awareness events, education, and practice.
- Support the BSW Cities in sustainable development.
- Support local governments and communities on their sustainable initiatives and their sustainable workforce needs.
- Collaborate with public institutions in the creation of sustainable public policies
- Provide information and research on sustainable technologies
- Create alliance/ partnerships with other Schools, colleges and universities in promoting sustainability education and practice for obtaining job ready skills.
- Continue to include and expand sustainability in the curricula.
- Create and promote the "Living Laboratory" program. A hands-on opportunity for students to merge academics with campus facilities/ community outreach projects that give the student real-world skills, meeting the sustainability goals of CVC.
- Promote sustainability research and projects for the college and the local communities.
- Consultation for local and national government agencies seeking to create healthy, energy efficient green building codes, public policies and sustainable development projects.